Printable Forms to bring to your first visit:
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions ( F.A.Q.)
- When should I arrive and what should I bring with me to my first physical therapy visit?
- Please arrive at the clinic early, at least 20 minutes. Be prepared to fill out a detailed patient information form. To save time, you’re welcome to download the form here and bring it to your first visit. This form will request specific details about your injury and medical history. Be sure to bring your physician prescription, MRI, or x-ray results related to your injury, if you have them. Also, be sure to bring identification and your insurance information as well.
- What should I wear…or bring to change into?
- Since physical therapy involves movement and exercise, it is recommended that you wear clothes that are loose fitting and allow for easy movement. If your lower body is involved, please wear shorts. If we will be treating your shoulder or neck region, ladies are recommended to wear a tank top or sports bra. If not be prepared to change in to one of our fashionably stunning hospital gowns. You will be permitted to purchase a gown after the visit to add to your glamorous wardrobe. Athletic or walking shoes are preferred!
- What should I expect at my first physical therapy visit?
- Your physical therapist will discuss your injury and symptoms. Expect your physical therapist to go through your medical history in great detail. Please bring a copy of ALL your medications. We may also check your X-rays, MRI, or any other applicable medical reports. The first session will last at least an hour. Be sure to communicate every aspect of your injury in as much detail as possible – how and when you got injured, if you had any initial care, etc. Don’t hold back. Now is not the time to be shy. Communicating everything clearly about your injury will help ensure you get the best possible treatment, and highest probability of a successful outcome.
- After your thorough examination, your physical therapist will discuss findings, therapy options and the frequency of treatment with you. The goal is to restore normal function and help prevent injury from reoccurring. Your treatment plan will include exercise and typically include ultrasonic/ electric stimulation modalities and manual therapy/massage techniques. If you do not feel comfortable with any treatment procedure, ask for alternate options. Physical therapy is a “team sport”. Your input, feedback and participation are essential for it to be successful. To ensure speedy recovery, be sure that you follow the treatment protocol consistently. You may also be asked to schedule future follow-up appointments. Depending upon your injury, you may start a course of therapy at least 1 to 3 times a week. These subsequent appointments will typically last an hour per visit.
The term direct access references the ability of a person to see a Physical Therapist without a physician referral. Many insurance companies now recognize the cost benefit of allowing patients to ‘self-refer’ to physical therapy clinics. Please always keep in mind that if you’re experiencing pain and/or discomfort from any of the common injuries we can treat, you may not need a referral from your doctor’s office to come see us. If you’re interested in a self-referral, please call the Imagine location closest to you and our administrative staff will be happy to call your insurance agency and check your benefits to let you know if you need a physician referral. We’re here to get you BETTER FASTER and keep you BETTER LONGER!
To better accommodate our patients, we contract with most major health insurance companies, including, but not limited to:
- Thomas Cooper
- BlueCross Blue Shield
- Planned Administrators
- Beech Street
- United Healthcare
- Don’t see your insurance company listed?
- We probably accept your insurance. Please contact any of our locations with questions about your specific plan, as well as any questions regarding insurance or billing. A list of our locations and phone numbers can be found here.
- Need information about your benefits plan?
- We can help you find answers before your first visit. Our trained staff will take care of all insurance billing and authorizations.
- Don’t have insurance?
- Don’t worry. Imagine Physical Therapy can help with an affordable payment plan. Please talk with our billing specialist for more information.